The post requires strong familiarity and substantial experience in water supply issue and provision of technical advisory related to the water supply facilities. A familiarity of the program cycle and project management as well as active participation in the identification and pursuit of strategic options for the project and the organization will be required of the post.
- Be responsible for technical part of WASH needs assessments and participate in the selection of target communities and WASH facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focal group discussions, visits to facilities and sites, and interview with key members of the community.
Program design and implementation:
- Be responsible for technical part of WASH needs assessments and participate in the selection of target communities and water supply facilities to be rehabilitated and / or build in the project, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focal group discussions, visits to facilities and sites, and interview with key members of the community.
- Responsible for the design, establishment of work specifications and quotation, follow-up and evaluation of activities related to the construction or rehabilitation of water supply infrastructures in public institutions and communities/camp, such as drinking water infrastructures (WTS, pipe network, reservoir, drinking water treatment device and maybe hand dug well wells, boreholes).
- Planning, organization and follow up of the community mobilization in target communities on issues related to of construction, operation and maintenance of water supply facilities.
- Responsible to establish the technical aspect of the internal purchase order and tender documents for construction and rehabilitation of water supply facilities.
- Design, implementation and organization of training for construction of small water supply facilities.at household level (hand washing device, sand filter …).
- Responsible to setting up the water lab and maintain the functioning of water testing equipment Manage and maintain water quality analysis equipment/resources, ensuring that consumables are ordered in good time
- Technical training of Water supply team, community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff
- Develop and manage a Water Quality sampling schedule, both at camp and household level and Carry out water sampling and train local community member to do basic water testing such Chlorine test/FRC
- Work with the Water trucking company and water supply authority to identify and solve problems related to water quality
- Follow-up of activities of local partners of Save the Children (such as local NGOs or governmental agencies) in the field of water supply facilities construction, and participate in their capacity building.
- Attends WASH-related meetings as designated.
- Be responsible to establish the technical aspect of the internal purchase order and tender documents for construction and rehabilitation of water supply facilities.
- Be responsible for the quality control of materials WASH bought by Save the Children and its subcontractors.
- Site management: general supervision of contractors and save the children staff under his management, ensuring the safety of construction sites and community participation.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the administration and logistics to ensure their payments.
- Follow up logistics / budget management / site supervision in case of direct intervention of Save the Children for small scale works (rehabilitation of water points or latrines etc …)
- Follow-up of activities of local partners of Save the Children (such as local NGOs or governmental agencies) in the field of WASH facilities construction, and participate in their capacity building.
Integration, coordination and transversal aspects
- Ensure that construction works is integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation component, to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other sectors of Save the Children, in order to integrate activities in the same geographical area and for the same beneficiaries.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- Ensure the integration of gender, child protection, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH construction activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning:
- Verify that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works done by partners and contractor are carried out according to quality standards established by Save the Children through quality checklists
- Plan and be responsible for the weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed…)
- Prepare draft reports on the status of the implementation as well as on other related activities
Partnership & capacity building
- If required, support assessment of partner capacities in identified areas, provide recommendation for relevant partnerships and facilitate the process of partnership (this may include the design of MoU, planning of coordination meetings and implementation of reporting mechanism etc.).
- According to assessment results and partner identified, support the analysis of capacities as well as the development of a capacity-building plan, the implementation of trainings.
Security and Safety
- Contribute to the running monitor of the prevailing security conditions by gathering security-related information.
- Assist in ensuring that the necessary measures are in place to ensure security, safety, health, and well-being of Save the Children staff, and other visitors; and that security standards and procedures are strictly adhered to.
- Support partnering efforts and opportunities with the Local Government Units, other government line agencies and structures, NGOs, and other stakeholders through consultation, information sharing.
- Support to all other activities such as resource mobilization, project conceptualization, fund sourcing, and other provide related strategic endeavours as required of the project.
- Writing weekly report to line manager, and verbal reports whenever necessary.
Provide regular reports on hygiene related and community related issues and program progress against work plans and project activities.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- A degree in water engineering or civil engineering (license is preferred but not required) or an equivalent technical course related to water and sanitation.
- Minimum of 1 years relevant work experience Humanitarian programming, previous experience in Save the Children an added advantage.
- Strong background on construction work, particularly of water and sanitation facilities.
- Must have technical skills and experience logistics, i.e. procurement, movement and transportation, designing efficient distribution systems, etc.
- High degree of interpersonal and communications skills. The post-holder should have the ability to relate and communicate effectively with the program partners to ensure that compliance issues are addressed and that working relationships are properly managed.
- Supervisory skills and experience will also prove to be quite advantageous given that the task will also require supervision of both skilled and unskilled workers as well as volunteers.
- Must have a high sense of urgency and a well-developed work ethic.
- Previous experience of working effectively as part of a WASH project team
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Commitment to capacity building and developing others
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project report
- Willing to do field work in areas assigned
- Good planning skills.
- Should be hardworking, flexible, initiative-taking attitude, team player, responsible and result oriented.
- Highly organized and can undertake assigned task with minimum supervision. Can handle multiple task and work under pressure.
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point applications. Background in AutoCAD and other design software is an advantage.
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills in order to understand the range and content of the emergency programmes’ work and provide practical solutions to operational challenges.
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a high-pressure environment and to prioritize and effectively manage assignments in a timely fashion
- Must be highly motivated and must possess initiative, discipline and a clear work ethic
- Understands and believes in Save the Children’s mission and vision; commits to its objectives and willing to adopt Save the Children’s methodology and framework.
- Oral and written Language skills in English
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Experience with working with subcontractors