The Safety & Security Officer’s (SSO) responsibility is to monitor the overall security situation, enforce security regulations and provide sound and timely advice to IRC Iraq staff and management in order to support the safe and efficient delivery of program activities in the designated areas of operations including the Suliamania, Kirkuk, and Diyala governorates. The SSO will advise on and implement the IRC Security Management Plan for Iraq, under the supervision of the Safety & Security Manager (SSM).
- Provide technical support to the SSM on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security and program continuity;
- Work with SSM to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans;
- Evaluate, review and update the hibernation and evacuation plans for all IRC offices and residences in Suly and Kirkuk and the region, and ensure that the practical preparations are in place and known to all staff involved;
- Conduct risk assessments of contracted and prospective offices and residences.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment to ensure that minimal conditions for security are being met.
- Conduct safety inspections such as; monthly fire extinguishers, smoke/fire detectors and inspection of IRC facilities as it pertains to health and safety.
- Building Acceptance to empower and expand humanitarian programming
- Uphold the mission, values, and spirit of IRC.
- Follow and enforce all IRC codes of conduct and policies (worldwide and in-country).
- Report any violations to appropriate IRC authority, and participate in preventative initiatives.
- Actively seek opportunities that will complement ability to fulfill position’s responsibilities as well as further professional development, such as taking part in internal and external trainings.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
Monitoring, Analysis and supervision
- Submit daily/weekly contextual updates (daily Security Report) as needed to the SSM.
- Work closely with IRC teams to ensure all incidents and accidents are followed up with an official written report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filed appropriately.
- Coordinate regularly with the SSM on safety and security, and fulfill reporting requirements to the region.
- Provide Training(s) that may include Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs); Contingency Plans (CPs); Security Management; Incident Reporting; Prevention and Response Mechanisms; Communications (Equipment – Thuraya; protocols).
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- 2-3 years of work experience in administration, human resources, or safety & security
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humor
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Strong information technology and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fluent in written and spoken English, Kurdish and Arabic
- Training or experience in crisis management, preferable
- Training in safety, fire and evacuation procedures, preferable
- Training in safety and disaster management, preferable