Translate written material from the mission language to the local language and vice-versa, ensuring that the translated version conveys the meaning of the original as clearly as possible, as well as performing high level verbal translation in order to ensure simultaneous, accurate, friendly, respectful, objective and fluent communication between MSF staff, local population, authorities and partners.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Translate written documents from mission language to local language and vice-versa upon request, reading through the original materials and rewrite it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained, using specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used;
- Research legal, technical and scientific phraseology to find the correct translation, using the internet and and various research tools throughout the translation process;
- Proofread and edit final translated versions;
- Liaise with clients to discuss any unclear points;
- Provide clients with a grammatically correct, well-expressed final version of the translated text;
- Prioritise work to meet deadlines;
- Ensure the presentation of the translated work is clearly understandable and the closest possible to the original source;
- Ensure appropriate filing for the translated work;
- Translate high level discussions / meetings as requested
- Always keep respect towards patients, collaborators, authorities, military factions and MSF staff participating in discussions.
- Ensure confidentiality of all translation is maintained as directed by the Mission/Project coordination team.
- Ensure neutrality and accuracy when translating.
- Declare any “conflict of interest” when asked to translate (e.g. personal involvement) which would necessitate using other staff members for translation.
- Inform international staff about local customs, tradition, etc., that will help understand better the context and better communicate.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Minimum education level: Bachelor or Technical Diploma, preferably but not obligatorily in English literature or translation.
- Languages:Fluency in English, Kurdish and Arabic is mandatory.