Overall Purpose:To facilitate achievement of the medical objectives to reduce morbidity and mortality by provision of emergency healthcare services to displaced populations in Dohuk Governorate, KRI. The health team will establish one emergency health facility within Sharyia camp to provide access to quality healthcare. The potential for outbreak is high – health teams need to be vigilant with surveillance and record keeping. Medair will also retain the capacity to establish mobile medical units for new displacements or scale-up in event of an outbreak.
Project Overview: Medair is focusing its relief efforts on the Kurdistan region in northern Iraq due to the region’s proximity to the conflict and the presence of a large number of displaced people. Current programming includes essential primary health care services for IDP and host community populations in Ninewa, and Dohuk Governorates in order to prevent avoidable morbidity and mortality through existing and emergency response MMU teams. Medair`s emergency response operation activities will also include first line WASH and Shelter intervention.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform triage of patients including vital signs and nutrition screening as appropriate
- Provide dressing changes and wound cleansing as needed
- Assist the medical doctors with consultations of patients
- Assist medical doctors with identification of children in need of referral for immunization
- Provide patient education and instruct on prevention methods for illness, proper nutrition, and hygiene
- Identify and immediately inform the in-charge or Medair health managers of critically ill patients in need of immediate care
- Assist with additional duties as requested or trained by the Medair Health manager/team leader including support to the pharmacy or translating
- Aiming to achieve the highest quality programming possible within the challenging contest of KRI
- Ensuring good hygiene standards are kept within all health facilities
- Upholding Medair values at all times, both within and outside working hours
- Demonstrate good hygiene practices with hand-washing and following universal precautions
- Prepare work area daily and coordinate with clinic team for additional items required
- Ensure all stocks required are in the clinic at all times or ensure that the Medair health team is aware of the stock out
- Debrief on a daily basis with the clinic in-charge or Medair Health Manager
- Attend internal Medair meetings
- Translate documents and/or interprets conversations when necessary to support the Medair team
- Report to the supervisor any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or any patient and organizational issue
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures as described in Medair Security Plan and monitor social and political situation in the field at any time. Report any security issues to Senior Management.