Work as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Carry out the day-to-day logistical functions required for the smooth running of operations in accordance with security procedures and Medair procedures. Liaise professionally with other teams, bases, suppliers etc as required. At all times representing Medair values and humanitarian principles
- Carry out the purchases for projects on the basis of purchase requests; organise, initiate, follow up and track requests ensuring procurement of the right product, at the right time, to the right location, at the right prices using the right procedures in compliance with Medair and donor guidelines, ensuring an ongoing supply to the programme.
- Constantly assess the local market, seek products and suppliers that offer the best value for money, negotiate prices.
- Request invoices or receipts, without delay, for all purchases, check they are correctly filled and translate information written in local language before aproval. Provide Finance team with complete documentation to ensure on time payment.
- Inform Logistics assistant responsible for Equipment on any newly purchased equipment, and facilitate accurate recording, tracking and disposal of equipment according to Medair procedures.
- In conjunction with the Senior logistics officer, manage and plan the shipment of goods from supplier to Medair warehouse or Medair projects, or from the warehouse to the projects choosing the best possible transport means; ensure an efficient shipment of goods for the proper running of the programme.
- Is responsible for all administrative related issues, including arrangement of permits for vehicles, drivers and goods to move between locations.
- Coordinate with the Storekeeper, Base assistant and Logistics Cluster for the reception of goods and its forwarding to the field, oversee and assist in reception and loading control process; ensure delivery notes are checked against orders and shipping documentation is accurate and complete before approval.
- Regularly assess the market (companies, prices, services, delays, …), and proposes different third party providers for validation.
- When receiving goods, check the number of packages against the cargo manifest, check packaging and cases and inform the line manager of any problems (missing or damaged goods, etc.).
- Send the approved Stock requests to the Storekeeper on time to ensure timely shipment.
- When needed, assist Storekeeper to pack (according to transport means), weigh and label freight (destination, number of shipping units, way bill number, weight and mode of transport)
- In conjunction with the Storekeeper, perform physical stock counts; ensure stock cards are reconciled weekly and stock counts carried out monthly; and consequently ensure stock reports are accurate, complete and submitted according to Medair procedures and agreed timelines.
- Immediately inform the line manager of any problems arising in the course of the work, particularly with regard to damage, loss, attempted break-ins or theft.
Qualification / Experience
Professional / vocational / technical qualification in logistics or management
University degree in logistics, procurement or management
Post-qualification professional or practical experience
Work experience in logistics, or management, preferably in an NGO setting
Experience in procurement, transport and/or distribution management systems
Good Kurdish and English (spoken and written)
Good Arabic (spoken and written)
Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook