The Senior Program Officer ensures the effective delivery of all aspects of the Resilience project implemented in Diyala, Iraq. S/he ensures accurate and responsive grant management for projects, establishing and adjusting activity plans, developing and updating procurement plans, monitoring budget performance and re phasing budgets as necessary. He/She works with the technical team to ensure technical project quality, with an emphasis on gender mainstreaming, as well as the funding team, to ensure internal and external project reports are high quality and produced to agreed deadlines. S/he also ensures effective management of project specific partnerships with the local NGOs, CBOs and Municipal Authorities in target areas. Additionally, S/he ensures, effective project monitoring, learning, knowledge management and project related research in support of country programme advocacy and campaigns.
Project Leadership and Management
- Provide effective leadership and support to the project team, ensuring the establishment/maintenance of a high performing team, excellent coordination and collaboration between team members and an environment conducive to team work;
- Ensure projects are implemented to a high quality, on time and against agreed work plans and budgets;
- Directly line manage project team members, ensuring implementation of Oxfam’s performance management policy and procedure;
- Collaborate with sector specific coordinators to ensure quality programming, essential gender-mainstreaming, effective MEAL processes and database management as well as learning that complies with organisational standards of accountability;
- Ensure effective monitoring and support of partner activities to ensure quality, transparency and appropriateness according to Oxfam MEAL standards;
- Together with the EFSVL Team Leader, identify and pursue opportunities for strategic project integration within the wider EFSVL Programme in Kalar and Diyala.
- Collaborate with the finance, funding and logistics teams to ensure that the Resilience project is effectively monitored against approved outputs and budgets and ensure the preparation and regular updating of: activity plans, the project budget and procurement plans.
- With the support of the grants team, prepare internal and external reports, ensuring compliance with donor and affiliate requirements.
- Ensure that humanitarian projects are cost effective, efficient and comply with organisational standards of management and accountability.
Influencing, representation and coordination
- Ensure effective field level coordination with other INGOs, national NGOs, CBOs and local authorities for the good implementation of the Resilience Project
- Represent Oxfam’s Resilience Project to relevant donors and Municipal Authorities.
- Support the development and delivery of advocacy and influencing plans focusing on humanitarian issues, gender and women’s rights
- Be a good representative for the resilience project with internal stakeholders within Oxfam Iraq and with relevant stakeholders.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Degree in sector specific development field, social science, or equivalent experience
- 2 years experience leading and managing complex, multi partner, humanitarian projects
- Experience of establishing and managing high performing teams
- Experience in delivering humanitarian and recovery projects
- Experience in integrating and mainstreaming gender at the project level
- Understanding and knowledge of humanitarian and recovery projects in an urban context
- Experience of establishing and developing partnerships with local civil society actors (CBOs and NGOs)
- Experience in managing budgets
- Experience in project specific MEAL systems and processes
- Planning and problem solving skills.
- Negotiation, diplomacy & representation skills
- Ability to work well under pressure to multiple demands, responding to changing needs, without losing sight of the strategic objectives.
- Well developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Excellent written and spoken English and Arabic
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Oxfam, including commitment to humanitarian principles and action Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.