Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Director and working closely with the Senior Finance Officer and other MC Iraq finance staff, the Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Record daily cash transactions in Mercy Corps accounting software system “Navigator”.
- Maintain custody of the office cash, make payments of approved transactions, (Cashier).
- Perform weekly and month end cash counts per the Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual.
- Provide Financial Review of payment requests and expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness (per policies and procedures), ensuring expense reports are fully approved before payment.
- Archive Mercy Corps (finance) documents
- Other month close tasks as assigned, including submission of required month end supporting documentation, Navigator reports, etc.
- Monitor advances/ advance ageing report. ( responsible person of advances)
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Maintain the lease and rental agreements file.
- Assist in responding to audit inquiries.
- Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Performing field payments / cash distribution – outside the office when requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- One year or more of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- Strong knowledge about banking system .
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field
- Computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Minimum oral and written English skills, Arabic language skills