The Hygiene Promotion Officer will support the work of the PM and WASH engineer with technical hygiene
promotion activities, and s/he is responsible for the timely reporting on program results & indicators in his/her respective AOR. Hygiene Promotion Officers will work closely with the WASH program team, coordinate with Project Assistant officer and field monitors in the area, and liaise with local authorizes/community leaders for activities related with hygiene promotion e.g. training. S/he will travel frequently to program areas.
Essential job functions
- Participate in the process of determining different aspects of information needs, in accordance with WASH program.
- Actively participate in developing appropriate Hygiene promotion (training) tools and methods for data collection.
- Review the effectiveness of M&E system; take initiatives as necessary in consultation with the program Manager.
- In coordination with the Program Manager and WASH engineer, assist with field work for survey with measurable indicators in line with the objectives and results outlined in the OFDA’s WASH proposal.
- Ensure that all hygiene promotion methods are properly followed by WASH staff.
- Travel to all areas of WASH in respective AOR work and carry out survey and conduct both training and distribute of hygiene kits in target areas of work.
- Be up to date on the Hygiene promotion methodologies used by Mercy Corps internationally.
- Integrate these methodologies in work carried out for this program
- Follow up with field assistance project officer to ensure that hygiene promotion data are collected on timely basis.
- Perform beneficiaries (students), data compilation, storing and updating on a regular basis.
- Contribute data to PM, M&E Manager to be incorporated into reports and assessments for WASH and senior management.
- Support WASH program team and authorities with data collection tools and guidelines.
- Submit monthly progress report for all targeted locations on the assessment and monitoring activities to the Program manager.
- Random cross checking of data to ensure accuracy of the data collecting from the field,
- Prepare and submit narrative reports based on the findings in WASH work areas, and keep WASH management update with feedback.
- Assess to hygiene promotion training needs and participate in imparting different training events.
- Follow up implementation of learning obtained from hygiene promotion capacity building training.
- Provide training in assessment and monitoring methodologies to project assistance and relevant staff.
Other duties as assigned by Program and M&E manger/Mercy Corps
Accountability: Accountable to Position description, MC HR Manual, Mercy Corps team members
are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
- At least 3 years of work experience in hygiene promotion with international and/or local NGOs or other
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s preferred.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative hygiene promotion including training and data collection and
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work in difficult conditions.
- Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel, knowledge of a database such as Access/SPSS or other similar
- Demonstrated attention to details, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently
and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Committed to sharing skills with other staff and building up the capacity of staff
- Existing relationships with local government, and community leaders is highly preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Arabic and Kurdish, excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results.
- Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people, diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment
- Conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment.
- Understanding of the long-term implications of relief work and the importance of incorporating the
development of civil society into relief activities.
- Strict adhere to Mercy Corps security policies and procedure
- Display an entrepreneurial spirit that is both creative and flexible. She/he will combine strong
communication skills, creativity, initiative, participatory leadership and tactful decisiveness to assist in
the development and implementation of Mercy Corps’ programming strategy
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving, and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are
Successful candidates should meet the education and experience requirements in the position descriptions for the vacant positions and should have a strong and demonstrated knowledge of safety and security management, good written and spoken English, computer Skills and local languages.
S/he must be self- motivated, creative, tolerant, and able to work in difficult, stressful environments and follow procedures. S/he must respect diversity and gender equality at the workplace.