The Gender Program Officer will support strategic, impactful, high-quality implementation of the program with an emphasis on the gender component of the program. S/he covers all aspects of the day to day activities of the program team and activities, including oversight and monitoring.He/she works closely with the Mercy Corps Social Cohesion Program team, beneficiaries, as well as the various Mercy Corps units involved in the program activities to ensure collaboration, clarity of tasks, documentation and reporting, and the tracking of deadlines.
S/he is responsible for the timely reporting on program activities in Chamchamal and Dukan districts of Sulaymaniyah. The Program Officer will coordinate and liaise with local authorizes/community leaders for activities related with program implementation. S/he will travel frequently to program areas in Chamchamal and Dukan districts of Sulaymaniyah, Governorate as well as Khanaqin District.
Essential job functions
- Organize and manage logistics for all activities, including arranging locations and managing meetings and activities of women’s committees (CAGs)
- Submit monthly activities progress report for all locations of program implementation to the Senior Gender and Protection Officer and/or the Project Manager.
- Work with women’s committees and community action groups to identify community social projects.
- Work with partner organization The Iraqi Center for Negotiation Skills and Conflict Management to organize training for key community leaders (men, women and youth) in conflict management.
- Work with the Senior Gender and Protection Officer to train women’s committee members is topics such as leadership.
- Work with existing Iraqi women’s NGOs and activist networks to link them to program participants.
- Work with the team on all youth-focused community activities.
- Monitor and document all activities for Mercy Corps further learning with social cohesion
- Disseminate success stories of resolved disputes and cooperation between communities
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Gender Protection Officer and Project Manager/Mercy Corps
Accountability: Accountable to Position description, MC HR Manual, Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- A/S in relevant field such as education, youth development, mediation, gender equality or other related field
- Experience addressing gender-specific cultural barriers to participation in program activities.
- Experience in development, implementation, administration and compliance; general program management.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Proficiency with MS Office software required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work in difficult conditions.
- Demonstrated attention to details, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
- Excellent written and spoken English, Arabic and Kurdish, excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Experience in gender and human rights and believer in women rights.
- Experience in Community Mobilization
- Effective communication, motivating leadership and interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of key principles of international NGOs including accountability, impartiality, neutrality, independence, partnerships, and intercultural understanding
- Strong commitment to team work
- Experience in INGO or humanitarian aid sector within Iraq.
- Experience in protection.