The Child Protection Community Mobilizer is a member of Save the Children’s (SC) Crisis Response team in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Under the supervision of the programme officers the Community Mobilizer will ensure that project activities are implemented on a timely manner according to the project timeline, budget and adhering to SC child safeguarding policy and do no harm principle.
- Build capacity on the program’s approaches and expected results through active participation in staff training and orientation as well as full engagement in the program’s processes.
- Ensure the implementation of agreed plans at the field level to achieve quality results on time.
- Mobilize communities (leaders, parents, etc.) and disseminate information about the project to promote community support.
- Hold regular meetings with stakeholders including local actors and other organizations serving children and community to familiarize them with the projects and its objectives and engage them in the process.
- Submit regular updates, reports and case studies on success stories and lessons learned to the CP officer.
- Collect data from the field in line with program indicators.
- Keep proper records of field expenditures when appropriate and report on these to the Program Coordinator
- Ensure that the programs are implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with SC’s principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SC’s procedures.
- Provide and undertake different trainings under project activities to community based staff, local actors and CP actors.
- Identify and refer cases to case management officers.
- Develop ideas and participate in undertaking different child protection campaigns in the area of implementation
- Implement all CP activities required.
Staff supervision and mentorship
- Supervise community based staff and volunteers and actively participate in their capacity building through on the job coaching.
- Work with child protection committees and support monthly meetings to map protection risks in the community and feedback for programmer improvement,
Monitoring and Reporting
- Provide timely and approproiate data on program activities to the CP officer/coordiantor
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports;
- Support the CP officer in developing bi-weekly project reports, and collect activity reporting from community based staff when appropriate.
- Participate in team reviews of results and program progress.
Collaboration and Representation
- Represent SC and SC projects in different forums when necessary.
- Liaise with other stakeholders, including schools, local leaders, and partners and participates in relevant meetings in Erbil and the camps around Erbil.
- Represent programming with local government, NGOs, communities and within SC as appropriate.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Preferably from Sinone.
- University degree and at least one year relevant area work experience.
- Strong English as well as strong / Arabic skills, written and spoken.
- Good computer skills (MS Office, including Outlook for email).
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.)
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong understanding of the situation of children in the community and demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children in the community.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of Child Protection.
- Strong experience in case management, child protection interventions, provision of different trainings includeing resilience and positive discipline programs.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven skills including planning and budget tracking capacities.
- Ability to supervise and mentor staff to achieve results.
- Ability to travel independently, including to rural communities and work long hours (Sinone)
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.